Braves 11 (35-26), Diamondbacks 7 (24-37)
WP: Moylan (3-1)
LP: Qualls (1-3)
Talk about running the gamut of emotions. The Braves went from down 2-0, all the way up to 7-2, once again tied, this time at 7, before a 4 spot in the 9th gave them the win...but not before Billy Wagner loaded the bases in the 9th! Chaotic game for sure. Tommy Hanson started for the Braves and was inefficient as hell. He only allowed 2 runs and 4 hits while walking 2 and striking out 10...but he only got 16 outs. Hanson had thrown 88 pitches at the end of 4, and finished at a mind blowing 121, only throwing 76 strikes. Dear god baby Jesus, he really needs to pace himself a little better. The bullpen...was a mess, quite frankly. Cristhian Martinez allowed a pair of runs in an inning and 2/3, then Jonny Venters came in to allow 3 runs...but of course, none of them were earned due to an error in the inning. It apparently doesn't matter that the error was on Venters, which is one of those ridiculous little frivolities that no one seems to care about. Venters walked 2 and allowed a hit while striking out 2, pitching in his 5 game in 7th days. Talk about overuse...these things should be criminal. Peter Moylan got out of Venters' mess, and Billy Wagner threw a scoreless but drama filled 9th to end the game.
Lets talk some offense. Brian McCann, Nate McLouth and Eric Hinske were both out of the starting lineup, leading to the ridiculousness of Omar Infante = corner outfielder. Infante pulled an o-fer on the day, and has an ISO of .074. Just what I'm looking for in a corner outfielder! Excuse me while I punch myself in the face. Thankfully, the offense didn't totally suck today as it did last night. Martin Prado reached base in 5 of his 6 plate appearances. Jason Heyward kinda got off his schnide and had a couple hits and RBI. Yunel Escobar continued his magic run of reaching base without any power, getting on 4 times without an extra base hit. There wasn't really a big blow that killed Arizona, just a bunch of ticky tack nonsense, started by Brooks Conrad in the 9th inning with a pinch hit single after an 8 pitch at bat. Conrad would steal second and score on a pinch hit Brian McCann single. Eric Hinske would add another pinch hit single in an inning, and now I'm wondering if 3 pinch hits in an inning is some sort of record. No idea. The Braves would add a couple more in the 9th to ice the deal.
The series that begins tomorrow will be the Braves first interleague outing of the year, and its not an easy one...traveling to Minnesota to take on the first place Twins. Thankfully, the Phillies don't get an easy draw either with the Red Sox, so its not a foregone conclusion that first place will be gone come Monday. As of THIS VERY MOMENT, the lead is 2 with the Phillies losing and down to their final 3 outs in the 9th to the Marlins. Joe likey. Anyway, back to the Twins. The pitching matchup tomorrow sure is a doozy...Tim Hudson vs Francisco Liriano! Now that will be awesome.
And to close out, what would a BravesHeart post be without some minor league news that only I care about? Bulletpoints below...
- Mycal Jones promoted to Myrtle Beach. 2/4 with a run scored in his debut.
- Arodys Vizcaino promoted to Myrtle Beach.
- Benino Pruneda promoted to Mississippi.
- Ryan Barba released by Myrtle Beach.
- Ryne Reynoso promoted to Gwinnett.
- Scott Proctor promoted to Myrtle Beach.
- Chris Masters placed on the DL.
- Caleb Brewer promoted to Rome. Welcome to the weekly prospect report. Season debut was tonight: 5 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 3 BB, 2 K. Solid if not unspectacular.
- Osman Marval promoted to Myrtle Beach.
- Chris Lovett promoted to Rome.
- Steve Kent activated from DL by Rome.
- Steve Figueroa signed by Rome.
- Ryan Weber demoted to Danville.
- Dalton Acord demoted to Danville.
- First round draft pick Matt Lipka was signed for slot. Why did I post nothing about the draft? Because I knew less than nothing about anyone, and didn't want to just copypasta things from people who do know, like every other blog on the internet did. I don't roll that way, kids.
And we're done. Busy couple of days there, right? Series preview for the Twinkies will be up tomorrow.